New Plays, New Voices, New Talents
Bibi the Play New Voices Series Competition
Bibi the Play invites playwrights who are residents of the Tri-State area (OH, KY, IN), or who currently live and work in the Tri-State counties, to submit one full-length play script, which must not have been previously produced (unproduced), or up to three unproduced one-acts for consideration for PUBLIC STAGED READINGS in the New Voices Series. There is no deadline—submissions are accepted year round.
- Include a separate Submission Letter and 2 COVER PAGES to the President of , Kalman Kivkovich, with your contact information (address, phone number, and e-mail), and Title of manuscript.
- Include a copy of your UNBOUND manuscript(s) (use rubber bands). Your name MUST NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript.
- 1st page to be your TITLE: (unnumbered page) / A New Play in Two Acts, etc. Your name MUST NOT appear anywhere on the page.
- The following informative pages starting with the 2nd page (numbered ii, iii, iv, etc.) to provide the following:
- CAST OF CHARACTERS: in order of appearance (include real age, gender and a few-words description).
- SCENE: Locations, etc.
- TIME: Present or years, etc.
- ACT AND SCENE BREAKDOWN: Time & location of each Scene
- RUNNING TIME: Estimate length of play and intermission where applicable.
- Add a short BLURB for publicity use: (up to 35 words).
- Add a shorter BLURB for poster use (up to 12 words).
- The PLAY itself to be numbered: 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., including the Act & Scene: I-3-45, II-3-90, etc.
- Plays can be on any subject.
- Keep a copy of your script—do not send your only copy.
- Do not send return postage—scripts are not returned.
- Plays can be full-length, one-act, or musical* (NO screenplays).
- * Musical: In addition to the script, include 3 CDs of the music/songs, as well as any available scores. Please make sure your name is not on the printed label.
- For jointly written scripts, authors should be Bibi the Play members. Exception: Collaborating composers for their music.
- Please type in COURIER NEW font, 12-point size, printed on one side of the page only.
- Each scene to begin at the top of a new page.
- Plays must be neat and printed / typed in an identifiable format.
- ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: Upon receiving your paper script submission, you will be contacted by Bibi the Play to follow up with an electronic version of your script, so have one ready. Do not start with an electronic submission.
- Authors must be residents of, or currently living and working in the Tri-State—OH, KY, or IN.
- If you are not already a member of , a $20 entry fee (1-year membership), payable to , must accompany the manuscript(s). Please note that you must be a paid member also at the time of your scheduled venue.
The President will acknowledge receipt of manuscripts, and titles of received scripts will be noted in the following Bibi the Play Minutes. Within two months, the President will contact the playwright with a brief summary evaluation of the submitted script, and thereafter the playwright will be contacted again ONLY if the play is chosen for the Series. Selection time varies from 2 months to one year.
Entries and payment should be sent to: Bibi the Play New Voices Series, P.O. Box 19969, Cincinnati, OH 45219-0969.
Checks should be made payable to:
For more information or assistance contact Bibi the Play President, Kalman Kivkovich,
Members of Bibi the Play Play-Reading Committee read each of the submitted scripts. They are unaware of who wrote the plays. The committee follows a specific evaluation criteria (see below) and a vote is taken. Submission of scripts does not guarantee acceptance.
Some large-scale works may be beyond ’s resources to undertake such projects.
Once the Play-Reading Committee selects a script for a public staged reading, Bibi the Play will contact the playwright with a congratulation letter (e-mail or regular mail); further communications will follow to determine dates and iron out any obstacles.
A selected script will be given one public staged reading under the auspices of Bibi The Play's New Voices Series. The playwright must, however, be involved in the process and procedures leading to the event and is expected to attend the venue. If the playwright is relatively distant from Cincinnati, he/she may try to appoint a volunteer representative or a Director who will do the extra chores. The playwright is still expected to attend the venue.
's New Voices Staged Readings are performed at the Aronoff Center for the Arts, Fifth Third Bank Theater (Black Box), and occasionally at the Jarson-Kaplan Theater, Downtown.
For more information, contact Bibi the Play President, Kalman Kivkovich 513-861-0004 firstname.lastname@example.org
Bibi the Play Review for New Voices Staged Reading: (Evaluation criteria)
Title: Reviewer: # & Code
Type Play: Comedy; one-act; two-act; three-act; other ___
Length: Reading time ___
Well Structured / Clear Focus? 1 2 3 4 5
Grabs Attention / Opening? 1 2 3 4 5
Enough Tension /Action / Conflict? 1 2 3 4 5
Climax / Resolution is well Developed? 1 2 3 4 5
Ending? 1 2 3 4 5
Dialogue? / Speeches Essential? 1 2 3 4 5
Characters Well Defined? 1 2 3 4 5
Key Relationships Well Defined? 1 2 3 4 5
Overall? / Review Number _____
Comments to go only to Committee Members:
Comments to be shared with playright:
NOTE TO PLAYWRIGHT: "Thanks for allowing us to read your play. The following comments are views individual Play-Reading Committee members wish to share with you, for what they are worth. We hope you find some or all of them helpful as you proceed in the development of your play. They do not represent a decision about whether or not your play will be selected for a staged reading. Those choices are made from an array of submissions within a particular time bloc in the submission/review process. It is possible that your play may be selected without revision. Conversely, it may not be chosen, even after revision. Again, thank you for sharing your work, and best wishes as you cultivate it."